Monday, January 24, 2011



When I was in college, my vanity caught up with me. Tired of wearing plastic-framed eyeglasses since fifth grade, I plunged into wearing hard contact lenses with no break-in period my junior year in high school. By the time I was a college student in Minneapolis my hometown opthamologist told me the daily wear had caused my eyeballs to flatten. The only way to correct the situation was to go back to wearing glasses, and make weekly 4-hour road trips back home to Wisconsin to check the progress of my eyes moving back into their normal state. Every weekend after my classes I would drive home in my '69 Buick Skylark. The night time scenery became familiar and I marked my travel progress by the neon lit establishments along the way. I always intended to bring their flashy supperclub/strip club imagery into one of my student graphic design pieces. Almost 25 years later I have finally captured the essence of those Wisconsin road trips in my "Hell-bent" painting. Posters of this painting are available in a choice of paper stocks and prices at my online store www.zazzle.com/sharizimm.



No comments:

Post a Comment